Saturday, September 24, 2005

Live From The ACL

First thing I took for granted was an internet wireless connection. Atleast that's what the 'Austin' in Austin City Limits Music Festival seemed to guarantee. However I realised that was way too much to expect. I'm writing this as me and Shashi sit here in front of the Austin Ventures stage and wait for Nine Black Alps band to set their gear up.

Fifteen minutes into the park and we are roasted by the heat sending us crawling in search of some shade. Damn this heat is really giving me second thoughts. Shold we have showed up for evening concerts? I have no clue about most of the bands in any case. The forecasts around hurricane Rita seem to have taken a complete U turn. Not a drop of rain and not a single menacing cloud in the sky. The category 2 hurricane loaded with 20 inches of rain has turned in to a dehydrating 100 degree sunny Austin afternoon.

But the crowds are being true to the spirit of ACL. Rain or shine the show will go on. People are sprawled out in front of every stage. Not to mention the longest lines are in front of the water tents comprising of very naked people trying to cool off.

Ok these guys just started playing and as we are sitting right in front of the speakers which is giving out enough base to knock out the lunch I just ate. In any case Nine Black Alps is not working out for me. Rock not being on top of my listening list could have something to do with it.

No comments: